Tuesday, June 17, 2014

This Blog Is a Mirror Into My Soul

This blog is a mirror into my soul sometimes. It's a way for me to express my deepest thoughts and take some big risks and trust that all my supporters will still be here waiting for me and cheering me on as I practice vulnerability through this public forum. I wanted to look back at the past 10 months of blogging and reflect on all the great lessons learned through the art of writing and sharing with others. I think this blog is a reflection of my inner struggles and my inner joys, and I'm very grateful you're here reading these words.

I'm first going to look back on the different topics I've chosen to write about or I've felt drawn to reflect upon, sometimes because of external inspiration from a class or hearing an amazing speaker and other times from within, something that I've been chewing on and writing about it helps me work all the kinks out.  (Today I'll highlight last July through October.)

Last July I restarted my blog by typing up my notes from an amazing mindfulness mini-retreat that I attended a year ago. I wrote about the Miracles of Mindfulness. Then about a month later, I began my weekly wellness blog practice on the exact one-year anniversary of my major abdominal/vascular surgery with a post about climbing to the top of a mountain to celebrate this post-op-iversary. For week 2, I blogged from a park bench overlooking the beautiful Puget Sound at one of my favorite viewpoints and called it Tranquil Time Tuesday. In week 3, I was feeling a bit "meh" and wrote about watching frolicking squirrels as stress relief. :) I started to feel a real rhythm for blogging and hear my true writing voice come through by week 4 with Learning to Love Even the Darkness.

In my second month of regularly blogging each week, I participated in a 21-day meditation challenge with the great Deepak and Oprah and learned an invaluable tool of pausing, assessing, reframing, and choosing love. I remember really enjoying writing this post because it was so practical and it can help anyone. The next week I recycled a few blog posts I wrote many years earlier about my second home of Ecuador.  Ooh, I really remember liking the week after's post on No lions...no tigers because it was really empowering for me to write and I found myself rereading it at later dates to relearn the wonderful lessons I shared from one of my favorite creative authors, SARK.  For the last week in September, I reflected on a workshop I attended that helped open me up and maybe even more importantly showed me that I had built some walls around myself to protect myself.

My October blogs covered an array of topics from celebrating our talentsrewriting some history, starting a decluttering challenge for myself which proved challenging but did work well as a de-stressor, and looking inside my anti-stress backpack.

Next time I'll review the winter months and into this year. So much writing, so much growth!

No comments: