Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Naming Our Mastery

As I was typing my name on my iPhone just now, the word "Master" popped up as the autocorrect kicked in, and it made me smile. I don't mind being called "Master." :) (Autocorrect doesn't usually pick flattering titles like that!) And then I started thinking about my goodness project this month and asked myself:
What am I a master of?
Have you ever thought about this before? Can you automatically name a few things that you are the master of? I'm not used to this idea so it's taking me a little longer to process and so I've decided to reflect tonight for my weekly wellness blog on the concept of mastery.
So to really begin to answer this question, I'd like to think of the actual definition of mastery. When I googled the term, Google came up with this definition:
Mastery = Comprehensive knowledge or skill in a subject or accomplishment
This also reminded me of the Spanish translation for master, which is maestro, meaning teacher also.
So what area of life do I have comprehensive knowledge or skills or accomplishments?
A few are popping into my head:
  • Being bilingual in Spanish
  • Helping others through creativity and resourcefulness (two of my Dependable Strengths)
  • Being dedicated to self-care and stress management
  • Showing daily commitment to a cause, such as blogging every day this year, in addition to flossing every day this year, writing what I'm grateful for every night, and affirming/meditating/praying every morning.
  • Thinking of creative activities to do with friends (and hopefully more workshops soon)

Recently I heard a similar idea of naming what you’re really good at in a book I’ve been listening to called May I Be Happy, by Cyndi Lee. The author, Cyndi used this technique in a yoga teacher training to help her students feel more confident. They were trying a very difficult pose and by lightening the air with stories of the fun things they do well, they felt better about trying something new. 
Brilliant really. A primary foundation of the Dependable Strengths process as well.
Here are a few other fun things that I’m a master at:
  • Taking frame-worthy nature photographs on the fly
  • Being the unofficial family photographer for several of my close friends :)
  • Being able to make a pretty nice collage while in my car :)
  • Making really tasty garbanzo bean cupcakes
  • Throwing some pretty fun parties over the years
  • Learning dance choreography quickly
  • Sensing stress in others and offering ideas for what might help them feel better
  • Being a cat whisperer :)

What are you a master of?


No comments: