Friday, May 13, 2016

Grumpiness Hacks

On this lovely Friday afternoon, I'm feeling kind of grumpy. I know. I had to admit it but it's how I feel, and as a student of mindfulness, I've learned to acknowledge and accept all my feelings, even when they're not that pretty. My feet are swollen. My shoulder aches. Other than that, I don't have any physical complaints and I'm happily and gratefully almost 24 weeks pregnant with our first child, a beautiful, healthy baby girl. Just thinking about her cheers me up...which leads me to the title of this blog post: Grumpiness Hacks.

How do you pull yourself out of a grumpy mood? Do you just wait it out? Do you let it fester? Do you think of nice things that bring you joy? Do you go for a walk?

There are many things we can do to not feel grumpy, but my thoughts and intuition come back to what I first mentioned: mindfulness. Mindfulness teaches us that avoiding or putting a bandage over our hurts or irritations isn't actually very helpful. It just prolongs the effect. Or it can make us feel like we're denying a part of ourselves. Which may manifest as frustration or anger if we're not aware of what's going on inside ourselves. And frustration and anger lead to--you named it--more grumpiness.

So I'm steering clear of avoidance and ignoring my grumpiness. Instead I'm writing it out. That's one grumpiness hack that might work for some of you. Letting your creative juices flow in a constructive way--like with a purpose--can really shift your perspective and energy and before long, you may feel some relief from the grumpy cloud overhead.

I also plan to dance it out a little later. I haven't feel like I've been moving enough lately and when I don't move my energy around, I can feel stuck and stiff, which both can lead to grumpiness too. Moving my body to music or to the sway of the trees in the wind or to my own breath can do wonders for my mood, spirit and energy. I get back into the flow of life. I no longer feel stagnant, because I'm physically moving forward. :)

Spending time with funny people helps too, I think. If you can be in the presence of someone who genuinely makes you laugh (watching a funny video may help too but being in the same room with someone or over the phone--live--tends to bring that person's positive energy more quickly to you), the grumpy cloud will most likely shift too. It just depends on your sense of humor and if the kind of funny the person is being is medicine to your ears or if it's just making you feel more grumpy, which can happen.

In that case, taking your shoes off and walking outside in the grass or sand may really help. It brings us back to the earth and we simply walk the grumpiness down into the ground. The earth can handle it--it's okay.

Or if that's not possible, being around cute animals or cute little kids (depending on your personality preferences) can work wonders as well. The bubbly energy of a baby or laughing little one changes our perspective and reminds of our joy. The joy we hold inside always. Animals have an innocence about them (unless they are being sneaky or getting into mischief, that is) that also reminds us of the simple joys in life. A cat purring or a dog's waggy tail can perk you up very quickly, if you pay attention.

There comes the mindfulness again. Paying attention. Really if you have a moment to pay attention to yourself, to your needs, to your dreams, to your breath, then the grumpiness you've been feeling may start pealing away.

And what are you left with after you peal away the grumpiness? Yourself.

Your true self.

Which is made of stardust and sparkles, which exude joy.

And love.

There, I feel a little better already! :-)

No comments: