Thursday, May 29, 2014

Sweet Surrender in Real Life

Before I even knew it, I decided to dedicate this entire month to the practice of surrendering and letting go. And boy, have I had many opportunities for both this month! Yesterday I said "see you later" to my esteemed colleagues, many of whom I have worked with for almost 7 years advising pre-college immigrant and refugee students from over 35 different countries as they began or continued their educational journeys here in the United States with English classes. Now I have been given a new opportunity in a different college to help students plan their education and future careers through individual advising, coaching, and leading workshops. I feel as though I have been working towards this new adventure for some time now and I look forward to gaining more coaching and workshop experience while helping more students achieve their goals.

From going through all the papers, files, emails, and memories I have accumulated in almost 7 years and feeling so loved and appreciated by many who I have shared the best and worst of times with, I have realized that what really stays with us from an important life experience is who we got to know and what they shared with us or what we learned from them. The inspiring stories of courage from students who fought their way to make a better life here in the United States, the uplifting passion projects of colleagues that have motivated me to work on my very own passion project, the daily care, concern and support from cherished friendships turned lifelong kindred spirits, the vast range of perspective on living life, and the inner awareness gained from all of these experiences are what I want to take with me from this.

So I must keep that in mind as I go through material items, because these items can be replaced or found again, if needed. But they do not compare to the priceless value of friendships made and lessons learned that I will take with me wherever I go in life. No one can take that away from me, it can't be lost or misplaced, it has become a part of me, and I am a better person for it.

Letting go requires A LOT of faith. I must trust that what I wrote is true--I will not lose the value of the many kindred friendships and invaluable lessons I take away from the past 7 years. I trust that these experiences, this wisdom, all the support I feel will help me move forward and help guide me in this new adventure. Nothing is lost. And so much has been gained. From moving on in my career, I am now able to reflect and see these past experiences with a little bit of distance which makes me more aware of all I have gained. And for that, I am grateful.

Gratitude helps us through transitions in life. I am a little nervous about all the unknown that lies ahead but I am also confident that I have what it takes and will be supported on this journey, no matter what. And that's a really good feeling.

2 comments:

Sarita said...

You are so right -- the friendships you have made over the last 7 years at school will last and carry over into this next step in your life. Love you! Just last night a lab assistant and I were talking about a summer reunion!

Marita said...

That sounds like a lovely idea, Sarita. :) I am so glad I have such wonderful friendships to carry me into this new career chapter. :) Gracias por todo, Amiga!!