Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Feeding My Soul With Creative Energy

I am realizing that I used to give out my creative energy more freely or uncontrollably but not in ways that refilled my spirit with this ever precious energy force. I have discovered that saving my creative energy for dancing, teaching, praying, making art, brainstorming, cooking, dreaming, and loving is a much better use of this powerful energy, and the responses from others are so much more affirming. As a creative free spirited individual, I have sometimes felt misunderstood and not quite known how to remedy this or explain my at times quirky ways, but one very important lesson I took from my 5-day Dependable Strengths training last October is that in order to reach my goals and lead a more fulfilling life, I must truly OWN my strengths, and creativity is definitely one of my most reliable and natural strengths. 
Expressing my creative side brings me so much joy and I feel like I'm at home in myself in these moments of creative flow. I think after going through the Dependable Strengths process, I have a greater awareness of my almost physical and most certainly emotional and spiritual need to express my creativity. I regularly look for opportunities now to express this gift to the world. 
I spent the greater part of 7 years attending many personal and professional development workshops, and now I'm finally coming into my own and creating my own workshops! It feels so amazing to start with an idea, begin planning and brainstorming, and then see it to fruition! And positively impact others' lives. That is the greatest gift--to bring a new perspective and learn to appreciate my own natural qualities in the process.
So just to give you an idea of how strong my need to be creative is, here is just a snapshot of my latest creative endeavors in the past week or so:
  • Tonight I'm writing and reflecting while outside in nature by a beautiful stream.
  • Earlier today I brainstormed about a new workshop to combine strengths identification and collaging...stay tuned!
  • This morning I facilitated an Introduction to Dependable Strengths workshop in a high-intermediate English class for immigrants and refugees from all over the globe.
  • Yesterday I made a beaded bracelet for my dear friend's birthday.
  • On Monday, I made a rainbow stir-fry with leftover vegetables from the farmer's market and created a kaleidoscope of colors and of course, photographed it.
  • On Saturday, I met a creative kindred spirit for an impromptu pre-Mother's Day collage get-together to create gifts for our moms.
  • On Friday I led a collaging session at the annual building community/professional development day at work.
  • Last Thursday I visited the art museum with my good friend and we happily geeked out analyzing Joan Mirรณ's art. :)
  • Last week I created several collage pages on my own and in the company of friends.
  • Nearly everyday I feel compelled to photograph nature's beauty and share this art with friends and family through social media and sometimes on this blog.

These varied creative endeavors feed my soul and spirit and help me stay grounded in the present, so even when I'm tired, I feel pumped full with energy and excited to share my light in the world through my spiritual gift of creativity.

Gorgeous flower my mom and I saw on Mother's Day while picking out a flower basket for her 

Bracelet I made for my amiga querida, Tami 

Mother's Day collage book for my dear mom 

Rainbow stir-fry creation 

My collage pages created during the session I led for Building Community Day 

Amazing collaging crew on Building Community Day...over 20 co-workers attended!


What's one of your spiritual gifts? Or an inner strength that fills you with joy when you utilize it? Please share below. I love hearing about people's strengths!

No comments: