Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Finding the Cozy in a Soggy Day

As the marvelous, complex fall season approaches in Seattle, I find myself noticing how crisp and beautifully clear and colorful some days are and then I turn around and see rain and gray the next day. My hypothesis though is that if I pay attention to all the crisp days, then maybe there will be more of them than it seems. But then I get to thinking about all the rainy days. I had originally thought to call these days "soggy," but the language we use and tell ourselves is so important for our overall outlook in life. Lately I have found myself reading and hearing a lot about a benevolent universe, and I think it's making a positive difference in my subconscious and conscious thoughts today. "Cozy" is a much better word and invokes warm and soothing indoor activities in my mind and in my memories.

So ask yourself: is today (or this moment) crisp or cozy?


Here’s my Crisp or Cozy Challenge for this fall: 
  • Record which days of fall are crisp, sunny days or have crisp sunbreaks and relish in the gifts of light and shadows.
  • Then also appreciate the cozy/soggy days. These days are especially great for staying in and reading, resting, going through clutter, doing arts and crafts, drinking wine with loved ones, catching up with friends, etc.


“Surrender to what is. Say 'yes' to life—and see how life suddenly starts working for you rather than against you.”  
~Eckhart Tolle

No comments: